It depends on the type of trip you are taking and the type of jewelry that you take.
He’s taken a few trips where it would be unwise to bring any fine jewelry. But most places are safe and let’s face it………. we love how it completes an outfit. So, on those occasions that you must take it, here are a few tips worth remembering.
1. Wear as much as you can onto the plane but not so much that it draws unnecessary attention or sets off TSA alarms. We don’t recommend taking it off and putting it in their bowls because they have been known to tip over. So, if you are choosing bulky pieces or ones that are quite valuable, we suggest putting those in your carry-on.
2. Anything that you are not wearing should be in your purse or carry-on luggage. NEVER put jewelry in a checked bag. We prefer your purse or satchel because sometimes the airlines may require you to check your bag at boarding.
3. Make a list of what you are taking. Take pictures of it with a description. Make a copy of that and take it with you and leave a copy at home. If you have a lot of valuable pieces and are caught in a random search, ask for a private room.
4. Have your jewelry insured. This creates peace of mind for you whether you are traveling with your jewelry, or you have left it home alone. If you are going out of the country, make sure your insurance company still has you covered. Some do not cover your jewelry outside the U.S. click here to learn more about properly insuring your jewelry.
5. Pick pockets are a problem worldwide and target tourists. So, it’s best not to draw attention to yourself. Try to make sure that your clothing is not conspicuous. Avoid wearing large, expensive jewelry because it makes you a target. Try to blend in.
6. Put each necklace in its own Ziploc bag with the chain hanging out of the top….this keeps you from having to de-tangle your jewelry once you get to your destination.
7. Use a small paper plate and stick your earrings into it with the post on one side and the earring on the other. Fold the paper plate and secure with some staples.
8. ALWAYS store all the jewelry you are not wearing in your room’s safe.